This Instant Pot Lemon Garlic Chicken is the perfect weeknight meal. It’s fast. It’s delicious. It’s versatile. Serve over rice, pasta, or with a side of veggies or potatoes.
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs (or 4 chicken breasts)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon of granulated garlic (can substitute garlic powder)
- 2–3 tablespoons of vegetable oil or olive oil
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 large yellow (Spanish) onion, chopped
- Little bit of salt & pepper for sprinkling over onions
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
- 2 lemons (juice and zest, separated)
- 1/3 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil (Italian parsley can be substituted)
- rice or pasta (optional)
- In a small bowl, mix together salt, pepper, and granulated garlic. Pat dry chicken pieces and season both sides with salt and pepper mixture.
- Preheat Instant Pot to “sauté” function.
- When pot is hot, add 2 tablespoons oil and 1 tablespoon of butter to pot. Sear chicken pieces for 2-3 minutes each side. You may need to cook more than one batch if they don’t fit in the pot. Set seared chicken aside.
- Add 1 tablespoon butter to pot. Add onions and sprinkle with some salt and pepper. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally, while scraping up browned bits off of the bottom.
- Push aside some of the onions to create an opening in the bottom of the pan. Add 1 tablespoon oil to that area and then add garlic. Let cook 1 minute. Stir onions and garlic together.
- Add lemon juice from 2 lemons to deglaze the pan. Cook for one minute and, while cooking, scrape up the remaining browned bits off the bottom of the pan.
- Mix in chicken stock, lemon zest, and Italian seasoning.
- Place the chicken back into the Instant Pot (chicken pieces can be overlapping) and add remaining 2 tablespoons of butter on the top. Lock the lid and turn the valve to SEAL.
- Select “Pressure Cook” and adjust timer to 7 minutes if using chicken thighs, 11 minutes if using chicken breasts. Let Instant Pot pressurize and when timer goes off, let it naturally release for 3 minutes before pushing the valve to VENT. Be careful! I always use something long, like tongs or a long rolled up pot holder. You never want your hand in the way of the steam coming out.
- Sprinkle with chopped basil. Italian parsley can be substituted. Squeeze a little lemon over the top and serve. Add sliced lemon for presentation, but it’s optional.
- Serve over pasta, rice, potatoes, or serve with a side of vegetables.
- If you’d like to thicken the sauce, add a slurry of 1 tablespoon of cornstarch and 2 tablespoons of water. Put on SAUTE function and allow to thicken up, stirring occasionally.
- If you’d like to use a slow cooker instead of the Instant pot, I would suggest cooking on low for 4-6 hours, AFTER you’ve seared the chicken breasts.
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Method: Instant Pot