- 1/2 cup minced yellow onion
- 1 cup coarsely chopped yellow onion
- 1 pound chicken breast tenderloins
- 1 teaspoon Chinese Five-Spice powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 8 large cloves garlic, minced, divided
- 2 pats butter, divided
- 1 1/2 cups brown sushi rice (I used Nishiki brand)
- 2 1/2 cups water (alter this amount depending on your rice’s package instructions)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh minced ginger
- 2 teaspoons Sambal Oelek (ground fresh chili paste)
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon water
- Juice of 2 limes (or at least 2 tablespoons juice), divided
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped cilantro
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- Cut chicken tenderloins into small pieces (about 1/2 inch sized pieces) and put into a medium bowl. If you have a mini food processor, mince and/or pulverize a chunk of yellow onion to get about 1/2 cup. To the bowl of chicken, add the minced onion, Chinese Five-Spice powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1 tablespoon lime juice, and whole wheat flour and combine with large spoon until all the chicken is coated evenly. Set aside.
- In a medium-sized saucepan, add 2 tablespoons olive oil and 1 pat butter over medium heat. Add 4 garlic cloves (minced) and simmer for 1 minute. Add rice and stir until coated with oil. Add water according to your package directions, 1 teaspoon salt, and cook covered for the amount of time stated on package (my Nishiki brown sushi rice took about 50 min to simmer and then 10 min covered off the heat).
- Heat a large skillet over medium low heat. Add a few turns of olive oil to the pan. When pan is preheated, add 1 cup coarsely chopped onions. Sprinkle onions generously with salt and a little bit of pepper and cook them until soft. When the onions are cooked, set aside.
- While the rice and onions are cooking, in a small bowl combine ginger, 4 gloves garlic (minced), Sambal Oelek, soy sauce, 1 tablespoon lime juice, 1 tablespoon water. Mix well to make a paste. Set aside.
- Heat the same large nonstick skillet you used to cook the onions over medium-high heat. Add a couple of turns of olive oil. Once pan is preheated, add 1 pat butter and 1/2 of chicken mixture. Fry in pan until cooked through, stirring occasionally. Remove chicken and cook second batch of chicken in skillet (add a little more olive oil if you need to). When cooked, set chicken aside. (Turn off heat if rice is still cooking.)
- When rice is finished cooking, add chicken back to skillet over medium heat. Once chicken is sizzling a little, add jalapeno and cook for 1 minute. Push chicken mixture to the sides of the pan to make an opening in the center of pan. Add ginger/garlic paste in the center and cook for 1 minute before stirring everything together. Add cooked onions and rice and stir until well combined.
- Remove from heat. Stir in cilantro and green onions and serve hot.
More great recipes at www.thekitchensnob.com