I need chocolate.
My soul needs chocolate.
My pants, however, do not need chocolate.
Say it with me: “Shut up, pants.”
Yeah, who needs pants? It never seemed to bother Donald Duck.
So, let’s talk cookies. You know how you eat dessert sometimes and you’re eating it just to eat it? It’s not crazy good. It’s not wowing you. It’s just dessert. You’re mindlessly shoveling it in. Oh, it’s just me?
Well, these cookies are worth every caloric crumb. They are rich, soft and brownie-like, and have a robust dark chocolate flavor.
Also, do not consume these cookies in public, as you may cry out in ecstasy. I’m not exaggerating. I’m just doing my good deed for the day by warning you.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1⅓ cups unsweetened natural cocoa powder (100% cacao). I used Scharffen Berger.
- 1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks) softened to room temperature. I used unsalted Irish butter which gives an extra rich flavor to the cookies.
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 2 large eggs, brought to room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 tablespoons brewed coffee, cooled to room temperature
- 2 cups dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a medium bowl, sift together dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, salt, and cocoa powder). Whisk until blended and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat butter with electric mixer for 1 minute.
- Add white sugar to butter and continue mixing.
- Add brown sugar and continue beating.
- Add eggs and continue beating and scraping the sides until everything is well blended.
- Add vanilla, milk, and coffee and mix until thoroughly incorporated.
- Slowly add dry ingredients to wet ingredients (about 1 cup at a time). Continue beating after each cup. Dough will be stiff and sticky.
- Stir in chocolate chips and refrigerate cookie dough for about 30-45 minutes.
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper and drop cookie dough by rounded tablespoonfuls about 2 inches apart.
- Bake 13-15 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes on baking sheet before transferring to cooling rack.